nafex - Re: [NAFEX] orchard ladder

  • From: "Jim Cooper" <JCooper@lewiston.k12.id.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] orchard ladder
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:45:36 -0700

I have both a Tallman tripod ladder and a Little Giant, and I like both. Each
has advantages.

Jim
N. Idaho

>>> "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com> 5/30/2008 8:19 AM >>>
Alan wrote:
"My one skilled pruning helper had 10 years experience full time working in a
commercial orchard before he came with me and his experience was all tri-pod
but once I put him on one of my ladders he never went back."

Alan,

I'm having a hard time understanding this. It seems to me three legged
ladders would be more stable on uneven ground. I understand with the Little
Giant you can adjust the individual height of the front and back, but that
still leaves side to side rocking. That's the problem I have with my
stepladder. The ground can be just a bit uneven, or soft, and the ladder
rocks from side to side and is unstable. One would think four points on the
ground is more stable vs. three, but it's not been my experience. Once I
built a grinder stand with four legs, but no matter how level I got the legs,
it still rocked a little be when moved to a different part of the floor.
Then I remembered seeing manufactured grinder stands with three legs, and
realized why they were built that way. For this reason, I was planning to
buy a Tallman tripod orchard ladder, but now you have me wondering.

Mark
KS