nafex - [NAFEX] Planting Peach Pits

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Planting Peach Pits
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:05:02 -0600

Mark Anger wrote: "I planted some peach pits in fall 2006 or spring 2007 (can't remember which)
and they never came up, although they weren't Siberian. I know the
squirrels got some, maybe all of them. Either way, I plan to try again. If
it works in MO, it should work across the border."

Mark,
There is a technique for planting nuts that the squirrels can't dig up.
A fellow I know planted ten acres of Black Walnut and squirrels dug up every one of those nuts. For his second (and final) attempt, he got a hold of a bunch of soup cans. He cut a cross in the unopened end and turned the tabs up. Planting the nuts normally, he inserted the cans (tabs up) over the planted nuts. The varmint thieves stopped digging when they encountered the sharp, up-turned tin and none of the cans were totally unearthed. By the time the trees needed the ( bole diameter) space, the cans had rusted away.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: