nafex - [NAFEX] Permethrin and Pristines and Corn

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Permethrin and Pristines and Corn
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:29:36 -0400

Hello Again All;

Permethrin does a good job for me on the apple trees.
One note on the label reads, "Do not apply after petal fall".

I asked the agent at the Maine County Extension (smart guy, too), and he said that honestly he didn't know.
But, he warned about the fact that it also kills beneficials, which I sort of already knew, so..........

Is anybody aware of the "No Permethrin after Petal Fall Rule", and why this is so?
Will all my trees pull up their roots and run down the street?
Do the apples fall off?

Somebody says, "Switch to Sevin". Well, Sevin thins apples. But, does this thinning affect go away after the apples reach a certain size? So I've been told.

My Pristine Apple trees are starting to fruit, this 3rd year after planting (semi-dwarf) zone 4.
What a beautiful little apple ! Solid yellow with a pink blush. No crud, maybe one bug. Not ripe yet.

The corn (side crop) is exploding. If you are thinking about a quick cash crop for the FM until the fruit ripens and it's sweet corn, go with Ambrosia (75 days) or Incredible (85 days). I got people lining up already.

Murph