nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Permethrin and Pristines and Corn

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Permethrin and Pristines and Corn
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:00:22 -0500

The reason for the "Do not apply after petal fall" on the label is twofold.  It has to do with PHI (Post Harvest Interval) and the fact that permethrin kills off the beneficial insects.  Beneficials are not as prevalent prior to petal fall and therefore permethrin could fit into an IPM program prior to petal fall but not after.  Permithrin is highly toxic and in some states has the  "Do not apply after petal fall" on the label.  There are some 10 different variations of permethrin, each with different labeling and certain restrictions within certain states.   To view the various labels you can go to http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx?t=   the CDMS database is the best source on chemical label information.  You can view each manufacture of a chemical, its label and its MSDS info.  If you let me know what specific insects you are targeting, maybe I can give you an alternative.  Sevin also kills the beneficials at higher rates, but the lower rate used for thinning is not as detrimental to the beneficials.  And Sevin used at the higher rate for insects is at a high enough rate not to cause thinning on the apples and the timing for the sprays after petal fall is usually after the apples are less susceptible to its thinning affects as you have heard.  And now I've got to go sell some peaches

Hope this helps!