nafex - Re: [NAFEX] price of food

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] price of food
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 10:50:44 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Mark & Helen Angermayer

... We spend about $300 per month on groceries, feeding a family of four.

Hi,

Buying patterns differ however... We consider ourselves frugal and spend
$150 a week for groceries in southwest Ontario for a family of four (two
teenage boys). We do buy some extras such as potato chips, pop and ice
cream, but not excessive amounts and always generic brands.

That amounts to approximately $600 a month spent in the grocery store.
Possibly taxes and transport costs play a large part in the doubling of
spending from your California grocery spending.

I would not even think of buying produce labeled "organic" as it is just
outside of our budget.

We grow our own tomatoes (can 50 liters of sauce yearly), peppers, sweet
corn, apples, raspberries (make all our own jelly), currants in season.

Prices vary. Keep in mind in southwest Ontario we pay approximately $4.12 a
gallon for gasoline (others in Canada pay even more).

Later,
Tom