nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pH question

  • From: JoanRRosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pH question
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 21:57:52 EDT

I have horses and do composting.  Never put fresh years horse manure into a garden without digging it in thoroughly,  1 part manure to 3 parts soil.   Any more than that there will be too much nitrogen and too acidic a venue.

You can counter the acid by use of garden lime, we use it to prevent smell in stables and keep insects away.  The nitrogen must be balanced out by either fertilizer or another organic item.

I make compost piles and age them for 2 to 3 years.  I put the Agway compost bacteria on each pile, and the result is black topsoil, pure gold for veggies, with no grubs but lots of earthworms.  I also use leaves in with the manure.  I lime it once and ignore it for a long time.  2 years later, I dig it out and use it.

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.