nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red Currant resistance to borers

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red Currant resistance to borers
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:21:47 -0400

I ordinarily lost a few branches to cane borers each year. Last year was particularly bad, and some helpful folks at NAFEX suggested I remove the dead branches and destroy them, to prevent the moth inside from laying next year's problems. So last year, after pruning the dead canes off my currant bushes, I put them in my municipal trash instead of tossing them onto the mulch pile. This year, I lost many fewer canes.

probably not a coincidence.

Ginda

p.s. If you look inside the dead cane in the spring, you can often find the overwintering insect. It seems to be a little below the dead portion.