nafex - [NAFEX] Freeze damage pruning question

  • From: Deb Schneider <debs@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Freeze damage pruning question
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:17:08 -0700 (PDT)

Beginning to see what survived our warm weather then freeze.  The pear trees have dead leaves, but the tips of branches are leafing out.  Cherries and peach look fine, though the crop is for sure gone as they were in bloom when it froze.  The pluot looked totally dead, but it is beginning to leaf out low on the branches.

Should I do any pruning at this point?   I hate to prune the pears when they are showing some growth, but am worried that the dead leaves below the greening parts might introduce fireblight?  I think it would be alright to prune back the pluots.. anyone have thoughts?

Also, should I fertilize these damaged plants?

deb