nafex - Re: [NAFEX] To propagate Prunus Serotina

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] To propagate Prunus Serotina
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:46:00 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry I have no advice, but will keep my fingers crossed for you. This is
great
fruit, the trick being to find those trees & branches which can be harvested
from
the ground or from the bed of a truck. If you have enough success w/ this
project,
please share the best techniques you find, and also the scionwood.

(My instincts say skip the rooting hormone, but maybe someone else has
actually
tried it! Haven't there been posts in the past from different people, one
who got
better results w/ rooting hormone, one w/o?)

--- BekeeprTop wrote:

> Prunus Serotina is the cherry from which cherry furniture is made - it
> bears
> a dark red or black cherry in racemes - the flavor is reminiscent of the
> Luden's black cherry cough drops - saw the fresh logs and an intense almond
> smell
> occurs. It's a unique flavor, but its rare to find one bearing heavy,
> though
> in Massachusetts the Prunus Serotina seedlings grow everywhere. In 1999
> found a good strain in the town of Harvard, Massachusetts and in particular
> 7' seedling at the edge of an apple orchard just loaded. I grafted it
> away
> but I only ever had one graft take, a saddle graft. Now I've got to graft
> it
> away again as that property where I grafted it to is to be sold this year.
>
> So I cut some scionwood and away we go again. I only tried saddle grafts
> before and I started chip budding yesterday. I've got some Doc Farwell's
> grafting seal and other wraps and will try various.
> 1]Does anyone know what temperature Prunus Serotina heals best at?
> 2] Professor Elwyn Meador grafted the central american form of Prunus
> Serotina and finding it especially hard used a rooting hormone to achieve
> the
> graft.
> Anyone know more about that? Any information about using rooting
> hormones
> on hard-to-graft materials?
> 3] the word I hear on cherries is do them early; of course this cherry
> isn't
> grafted often so who knows what typical cherry advice has to do with this
> species.
> Charlie Paradise

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.