nafex - [NAFEX] To propagate Prunus Serotina

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] To propagate Prunus Serotina
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:52:49 EDT

Prunus Serotina is the cherry from which cherry furniture is made - it bears a dark red or black cherry in racemes - the flavor is reminiscent of the Luden's black cherry cough drops - saw the fresh logs and an intense almond smell occurs.  It's a unique flavor, but its rare to find one bearing heavy, though in Massachusetts the Prunus Serotina seedlings grow everywhere.   In 1999 I found a good strain in the town of Harvard, Massachusetts and in particular a 7' seedling at the edge of an apple orchard just loaded.   I grafted it away but I only ever had one graft take, a saddle graft.  Now I've got to graft it away again as that property where I grafted it to is to be sold this year.  So I cut some scionwood and away we go again.  I only tried saddle grafts before and I started chip budding yesterday.   I've got some Doc Farwell's grafting seal and other wraps and will try various.
1]Does anyone know what temperature Prunus Serotina heals best at?
2] Professor Elwyn Meador grafted the central american form of Prunus Serotina and finding it especially hard used a rooting hormone to achieve the graft.  Anyone know more about that?  Any information about using rooting hormones on hard-to-graft materials?
3] the word I hear on cherries is do them early; of course this cherry isn't grafted often so who knows what typical cherry advice has to do with this species.
Charlie Paradise

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.