nafex - [NAFEX] How your taste buds respond differently depending ...

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.taylor.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] How your taste buds respond differently depending ...
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:15:01 -0400

Donna, your discussion about tastes, etc. was really interesting. I was born in Angola (Africa) in a family with several generations experience there. I've read and been told that there were areas where the people were so vitamin C deficient that when the Europeans introduced lemons, the locals were eating them like candy and loving it.

One story in the memoirs of a retired Canadian nurse (a friend of my mother who now lives in Regina) told about how in extreme circumstances people started bleeding through their skins. She wrote that a doctor (Dr. Strangway, Englishman if I recall correctly) invented a way of doing "lemon juice intravenous infusions" which helped rescue people with that condition and which became the standard protocol at the time. No, the book doesn't go into medical detail, that's all I know.

- sb

In East-central Indiana where my peaches, cherries, kiwi, etc. are all tempting fate by starting to bloom. Those days of 65-70 degree weather really has faked them out. The natives -- black walnut, poison ivy :-), etc. -- aren't showing any serious signs of believing what the weather has been telling them. If it really looks like frost next week, I may try covering some of the smaller stone fruit plans with heavy plastic over night and see whether that helps.

  • [NAFEX] How your taste buds respond differently depending ..., Stefan Brandle, 03/31/2007