nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What kind of Apricot

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What kind of Apricot
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:52:17 -0500

Since the apricot is in a 5 gallon container it is probably rootbound. If you plant it out in the ground it will probably start to grow larger although it may be stunted a little. Try to separate the roots that you can see on the bottom and sides of the container a little when you plant it out but do not completely break up the root ball.

Western Washington is not the best area for apricots but they will grow there. There is even a variety that was developed for that area called Puget Gold. The California variety will probably have some problems but why not give it a try as you have it already, you may be pleasantly surprised.

It is unlikely that you can identify the variety as you said it is a seedling and that means that it could have been cross pollinated by another variety. If that has happened (cross-pollination) then your plant is a variety of its own, although basically a California variety. Tilton  and Blenheim were the predominate varieties in California about the time you are talking about so it may be related to one of them.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard