nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach Pollination?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach Pollination?
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:31:55 -0800

Even self-fertile flowers set better with pollinators around to insure that lots of pollen gets on the stigma. Not every pollen grain is good and having a lot of pollen on the stigma insures that more "virile" grains are in place to do a better job of fertilizing the ovary. In the UK it is a practice to "tickle" peach blossoms with a feather to insure that lots of pollen reaches the stigma of the flower.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com