nafex - [NAFEX] Ethylene and scion storage

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ethylene and scion storage
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:14:24 -0600

Mark,
I believe the ethylene molecule is too large to penetrate (polyethylene) storage bags. I say "I believe" because I haven't actually studied the matter and I have kept scionwood in my refrigerator (along with fruit) with no apparent ill effects. If you want to be sure, use freezer bags - freezer bags are made from polypropylene which are said to be impervious to even water vapor.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Speaking of ethylene, was wondering just how sensitive scionwood is to
ethylene. I have several scions stored in the refrigerator, but since we
try to eat healthy, we also store fresh fruits and vegetables in the fridge.
I try to keep the produce in the bottom and the scions in the top. Can
ethylene enter the plastic bags the scionwood is stored in? Can I tell if
the scionwood is being harmed by ethylene or will they just quietly die?

Mark Angermayer
Zone 5 Kansas