nafex - [NAFEX] Samdal elderberries and Honeycrisp Apples

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Samdal elderberries and Honeycrisp Apples
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:02:50 -0500

Hi Friends;

This Spring, I have 10 Nova and 20 York Elderberry plants on the way from AA Vineyards.
They are going on trial in an 'a bit soggy' area of the orchard.

Nourse is selling Samdal Elderberry plants, small quantities for $7.00 each.
Hartmann has them for $240 per 100 plants.

These almost sound like Floracane Brambles.. Year one, a cane appears; year 2 it fruits and gets chopped.

Has anybody raised these, or have the scoop on them?
It sounds like the thing to do, if they are easier to pick & spray than Nova & York.

Half my orchard is trials of this and that...... AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH  !!!

Honeycrisp apples... I've seen a few handsome ones, but most of them are poorly colored.
Are all you folks noticing this, too or is it just Massachusetts?
Also, at $2.49 a pound next to $1.29 Cortland / Mac / Jonamacs, they ain't exactly jumpin' off the shelf either. I was going to augment my heirloom apple orchard with some 'plain vanilla' variety for kids to pick, but it isn't going to be Honeycrisp. Probably a couple of the disease resistant models; lower spray, and quality is less of an issue in that sense.

Richard Murphy
zone 5 and 4

Richard Murphy