nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rooting softwood mulberry

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rooting softwood mulberry
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:22:14 -0500

At 02:28 PM 7/6/2006, Donna wrote:
 I'm surprised that no one has jumped in with the answer to your question.  Lucky must be out of town.
Yeah, I was.

Bass,
I've had better success with M.rubra as summer-collected(seems like I did 'em in July) semi-hardwood cuttings than as dormant-collected cuttings.   M.alba & the M.a.XM.r. hybrids would probably work as well or better than M.rubra.

Pencil-diameter cuttings of current-year's growth have worked fairly well for me, 8-10 inches in length - I'll leave 2 or 3 leaves attached, but cut about half the leaf off (just a transverse cut, halfway up the leaf) to diminish transpiration losses.  Wound and dip the basal end in your choice of rooting hormone and stick in a soilless potting mix.  I water daily, and keep the cuttings in a shady spot - no direct sun.
I've tented some by placing a plastic bag over the pot the cuttings were in, and left others 'untented', and really didn't see much difference.

LLP