nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum vs plum (Fellenberg vs. Early Italian)

  • From: Nate <nrhora@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum vs plum (Fellenberg vs. Early Italian)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:58:12 -0700

I've heard that some of the Prunus subgenus work well together. Some
good examples from previous experiences cross-pollinating are the
Prunus Consocilflora, w/ Americana, Spinoka and and mexicana (best
for making my fav. plum wine)

Besides that, there aren't that many species which seem to have much
if any success. For instance the greengage (which has no prevelent
buds, but a smooth texture, with no stem) along with the cocomilia
seem to have an inability to produce anything of substance.