nafex - [NAFEX] Saskatoons - disappointing

  • From: "Joe Boles" <jo.bo@rogers.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Saskatoons - disappointing
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:47:20 -0400

I had my best harvest of Saskatoons this week. All the ornamental amelanchier in my area were loaded as well. The Robins had their fill and left mine alone. I normally eat the Saskatoons right of the tree but with the good harvest I had pie made. The pie was void of flavor. I don't find fresh Saskatoons/Service berries have all that much flavor when eaten fresh; I thought the cooking would bring out the flavor. Not so. Does anyone want to share a recipe for pie that will bring out the flavor.

Joe, Mississauga, ON
zone USA 5B, Canada 6B