nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Drops, Apricot

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Drops, Apricot
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:11:22 -0500

At 09:50 PM 6/28/2006, Donna wrote:
 I suspect if the cider were fermented, the E. coli would be swamped out no longer infective.  Just goes to show that the production of alcohol can be beneficial.
I suspect that you're correct, but I'd have to dig through some papers to be certain that it wouldn't survive along with the fermenters - the O157/H7 strain is an odd and somewhat tough bugger.  For most intents & purposes, it's only commonly found in the GI tract of cattle on feed( a grain-based ration, as is fed in feedlots, for fattening cattle headed for slaughter; or perhaps lactating dairy cattle); grass or forage-based diets seem not to favor persistence of O157/H7 in the bovine intestinal tract.

( I was just reading in a book on the Little Ice Age that when apple crops failed and the peasants had to drink water instead, that they were more prone to water borne illnesses.)  Also, a study showed that cinnamon would kill or inhibit that bacteria.
Donna, I'd remembered you mentioning that in a phone conversation we had - I had a scouring baby calf a week or so back, and had no commercial antimicrobials on hand to treat it with - I mixed in a couple of teaspoons of ground cinnamon  and a teaspoon of turmeric - along with some KCl(salt substitute) and baking soda, in with the milk I tubed the calf with, and it was better the next day - but, I'm not saying that any or all of the aforementioned substances had any effect - the calf might have been fine with no treatment whatsoever.  Purely anecdotal; but I'll probably use cinnamon again.

So it's safe to use your drops,
I made a batch of crabapple jelly last weekend from drops - my son had been mowing the orchard, and as he passed too closely to the Kerr crab, the big rear tire on the tractor caused a couple of heavily-laden branches to 'catapult' most of their crop onto the ground.

Lucky