nafex - Re: [NAFEX] amish orcharding

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] amish orcharding
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:06:41 -0500

Our produce pool at Organic Valley is almost completely Amish, maybe 75 out of 100 members are Amish. We also have a lot of Amish egg farmers. & a lot more waiting for openings. On the other hand I can't think of any of the Amish that I know that are doing orcharding yet, tho a number of them are now getting into grapes, hazelnuts and berries. The younger ones that live around me seem to be much more conscious of what organic & healthy mean tho I'd venture that if Organic Valley wasn't employing them they probably would be doing conventional agriculture.

~mIEKAL

I watched one of my Amish neighbors cut hay the other day with a 9 foot sickle bar mower. Two horses & not a tractor in sight. He was telling me that the particular piece of equipment is no longer manufactured, but they are so basic that they keep the old ones working & they are passed from generation to generation. You would think Amish produce could sell for cheaper because they don't have to figure in gas costs.