nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Thinking Out Loud

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Thinking Out Loud
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:13:25 -0500

Good idea, Jim. I will be interested in knowing how the experiment goes. We are getting ready to move about 40 plum trees to a new location that will be a row next to our last peach row. Plums and peaches together can be an issue because of peach phony. Peach phony is a bacterial disease that has caused considerable damage to the peach industry in Zones 4 and 5. The disease is transmitted to healthy trees by leafhoppers. It is important to remove wild plum bushes, which are common sources of phony, before planting peaches. Also, peaches and plums should not be planted together in Zones 4 and 5. This disease cannot be controlled with chemical sprays.

Since we are in Zone 5a, we are gonig to give it a try and see what happens. Let's keep in touch and see what our combined results are.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>