nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pruning strategies for M27

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pruning strategies for M27
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:22:00 -0500

I read somewhere, I think it was in The Pruning Book by Lee Reich that you can prune the roots of container grown trees to control size also.

I have a photo posted on  http://www.theorchardkeeper.blogspot.com of the vertical axe system for peaches. We have our trees planted at 8' apart, although I have seen them as close together as 5'.  Our trees are in 3rd leaf with some replacements at 2nd leaf.  We had trees bearing at 2nd leaf and will have many trees bearing at 3rd leaf this season.  I have pruned to central leader/vertical axis and have seen no delay in production from our trees.