nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pruning strategies for M27

  • From: "Jim Cooper" <JCooper@lewiston.k12.id.us>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pruning strategies for M27
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:04:43 -0700

Is that to remove a 1/3 or leave a 1/3??

Jim
N. Idaho

>>> tolenio@sentex.net 4/28/2006 4:24 AM >>>

Hello,

I took a pruning course with Henry Kock at the Univ of Guelph in
Ontario.
On apple he told us to cut back all annual growth by 1/3rd (except
furiting spurs). Also keep it pruned to a weak central leader.

Later,
Tom

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:34:25 -0400, Randall Burd <burdrs@comcast.net>

wrote:

> I have several varieties of apples on M27 rootstock in containers. I
am
> training these using a slender spindle method by winding the central
> leader up a stack in the containers. The problem that I am facing is
the
> the lower scaffold branches are becoming quite wide and probably need
> be shortened to prevent the trees from engulfing each other.
> I have looked at Gene's M27 strategies at:
> http://www.midfex.org/yale/dwarf.html and like what he has done.
> Any thoughts on other pruning strategies that I might consider?
Thanks.
> Randy
> Jersey gardener

sites.