nafex - [NAFEX] Pruning strategies for M27

  • From: "Randall Burd" <burdrs@comcast.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pruning strategies for M27
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:34:25 -0400

Title: Message
I have several varieties of apples on M27 rootstock in containers. I am training these using a slender spindle method by winding the central leader up a stack in the containers. The problem that I am facing is the the lower scaffold branches are becoming quite wide and probably need to be shortened to prevent the trees from engulfing each other.

I have looked at Gene's M27 strategies at: http://www.midfex.org/yale/dwarf.html and like what he has done.

Any thoughts on other pruning strategies that I might consider? Thanks.

Randy
Jersey gardener