nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ticks (was: ATNN:Fruit persons of Maine)

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ticks (was: ATNN:Fruit persons of Maine)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:12:19 -0400

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Ticks (was: ATNN:Fruit persons of Maine)
Two years ago I stopped counting after I found 32 ticks, 5 of which were embedded.

I think everyone who goes outside should look up the tick postings in our NAFEX newsgroup archives and thoroughly acquaint yourselves with the excellent information that was given then about the mortal threat that ticks are [their diseases can KILL you].

Just an update: I never go to garden without my 16” tall rubber boots.  I wear slip=on shoes in the house so easy to slip out and into the boots.  On each boot I have put one dog flea & tick collar as an additional dissuader against the ticks crawling up.  The tick collars on the boots will still protect me from below when I just think ‘I won’t be out long enough’ to spray DEET on myself.  On sale I am able to obtain the tick collars for just $1.98 + the shipping.

If you don’t like bug spray, remember this:  as bad as it is to have poison sprayed all over your clothes, after you get an embedded tick, you will be taking the poison inside.  Having taken the full antibiotic course twice, I can assure you from personal experience it is better to take the poison outside than to take it inside.

Good luck to all and take the tick threat seriously.