nafex - Re: [NAFEX] copyrights

  • From: Philip Stewart <philstewart24@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] copyrights
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 05:38:57 -0800 (PST)

I don't think this exactly correct. Works-for-hire, in
which a person writes on behalf of a corporation, have
a copyright duration of either 95 years from
publication or 120 years from their creation,
whichever is shorter. So really not much different in
practice than the "life of the author plus 70 years"
of an individually held copyright. The rights to an
individually held copyright are inheritable (I
believe) just as a corporation might be.

The vast majority of books and artwork, however, have
copyrights assigned directly to the author.

Note that any work published before 1963 without a
proper copyright notice entered public domain
immediately upon publication.