nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Inducing hardening-off

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Inducing hardening-off
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:44:48 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2006 11:23:09 AM US Eastern Standard Time, leesharp@cableone.net writes:

You want the Kaki to retain their leaves until frost takes them off to develop sweeter flavor of the fruit, produce a better crop the next year, and also it is claimed it causes them to be more cold hardy.

Hi Lee,

I really doubt that carrying leaves into early winter increases winter hardiness, at least not in this area.

You are 100% correct that leaving the leaves on supplies more nourishment for a current year's crop, the root system and thus improving the following year's crop. If I were able to raise kaki fruit I'd not be concerned with hardening off. My thought of defoliating is to harden off and extend the kaki range further north.

I've never been able to fruit kaki here in unprotected areas. In fact of over 250 kaki seedlings planted about 1994 all have frozen to the ground every year except one and my goal is winter survival. Of the original 250 seedlings less than 25 are still alive. All winter killed. I'd just like a few male flowers for the pollen. My experience (zone 5b) had been that kaki will retain their leaves through light frosts and usually their leaves remain after virginiana has lost most of theirs. When they still have leaves in late Oct. the wood will still be actively carrying nourishment and thus high moisture content. I suspect too tender for a hard freeze in Dec.  My thinking would be to defoliate kaki here about mid Oct. and hopefully the sap will be down by Dec.

Jerry