nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: Super Tasters

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: Super Tasters
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:30:46 -0700

>From another list. Considering how important taste is in fruit, it seemed fitting for the NAFEX list.
-Lon Rombough

Hello,
I was just having a discussion with a family member about grape taste. The
member
cannot stand to eat grape seeds when sampling fresh grapes in the vineyard.
On the
other hand, I can with little problem. She claims that the taste of the
crushed seed is
just too powerful.

There has been an hour long radio program about a scientist studying taste
buds on
humans. The program is somewhere on the Minnesota Public Radio Archive
within
the last two months. The program gave advice about how to do an
unscientific survey
at home to tell where you fall for # of tastebuds- the more you have the
more you taste.
You take either a green or blue food dye and place it on your tongue. They
said that
the tastebuds will reject the color, so you should be able to see them. The
less color the
front of your tongue has, the more tastebuds you have. You will need to
compare your
tongue to a few other people's using the same test. Within a small
population you should
be able to tell where you fall among tasters: super tasters, normal, or
non-tasters.
Finding equally crazy people to go through with the test could be hardest
part.