nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Super Tasters

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Super Tasters
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:48:52 -0700

I don’t remember which compound we used to test supertasters back at college, but we would put a drop on snips of paper.  Subjects would hold the paper against their tongues and describe the flavor.  The substance I was thinking of would register as flavorless, mildly pleasant, or mildly unpleasant, all the way up to “Yecch!! Are you trying to poison me?  What is this, lye??””  I’m in the last group.

I think there’s more to tasting (we’re not talking about aromatic flavors, just the five basic tastes) than just number of taste buds, although that correlates extremely well; I think there may be functional differences as well.  Supertasters will tend to strongly dislike some foods (most cannot stand the bitterness of any sugar substitute), and some are very fussy eaters.  Others, perhaps most, take strong pleasure in flavor (while still rejecting some flavors others find innocuous).  A very high percentage of chefs are supertasters.  Many supertasters tend to like spicy foods.

In my case there are flavors that I find overly sweet, that others like.  There is one component in grapefruit (I think it’s what we used for that test) that tastes poisonously bitter to me, but I love the other flavors (hence my search for Lavender Gem to grow, a truly sweet graefruity tangelolo).  I hate milk chocolate, love very dark (so some bitters I like just fine).

It wouldn’t surprise me to find a high concentration of supertasters here.  As a group, we tend to be flavor-seekers.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate