nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fruit bagging

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fruit bagging
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:42:31 -0400

The wildlife in the States must be awfully intelligent. I used to get squirrel damage before bagging. For a two week period, the squirrels would come and sample an apple; one chunk and spit it out - no different than yesterday! With bagging, the deterrent appears overwhelming. I am tempted to try it on my peaches next year, as long as the winter doesn't kill all my flower buds. Bird pecks and wasp damage are also at a minimum - much much less than totally bare.

As for the zip lock, yes, there is an opening by the stem that I am sure contributes to some contamination. For me, the damage is minimal. I have removed bags that have half of the zip open and part of the apple is bare to the elements - the apple was perfect! It seems that the most critical period for the bags is when the apple is young and developing. The apple is covered and I suspect cannot exude enough of its aromatic 'nectar' to entice the little crawlies.

When applying the zip lok, I have lost the odd apple because I slightly twisted the apple. But the lock is never so tight that it "bites into the stem". As for the "sail" effect. I would suggest that this enhances the stability of the stem. The fruit stem is made of similar material as woody stems. A stationary stem of an apple tree is definitely not as sturdy as one that waves in the wind.

JB
Can Zone 6b - just N of Toronto