nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fruit bagging

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fruit bagging
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:27:44 -0500

All the reports of apple bagging success are encouraging. I bagged the one apple set on my Pixie Crunch tree (second season in the ground) and harvested it in perfect shape, with excellent red color. I used clear zipper bags. I look forward to next season when three other apple trees should flower and Pixie Crunch will set more fruit. I did only the dormant oil and neem seed oil sprays at appropriate times and have no disease problems so far.

You all have been great mentors to my first apple growing attempts, and the bagging info is the best.

We ate the one apple yesterday, with great ceremony. Pixie Crunch was crisper and juicier than Honeycrisp, which we sampled along with it. The flavor is different than Honeycrisp--more pronounced, less sweet, but complex. Thanks, Ed for recommending such a great apple. The Howards will be eating those apples for generations, hopefully!
Doreen Howard