nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Google

  • From: Sunshine Lemme <longislande@optonline.net>
  • To: 'North American Fruit Explorers' <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Google
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:03:10 -0400

It's been a few years but I got many pages listed first in Google. First,
target the search words (jams, jelly, low sugar, etc.) Then write a 170
word page using each words about 7% of the time; you can make one page for
each, which is probably best. Try to have it make sense, some people will
actually read it. In the website, make a folder for each target page named
the name of your target words, and upload the page to that folder and name
each of those pages "index" (that's why each page is in a different folder).
The final problem is to link all the other pages in your site and anywhere
else you can to those pages. (I've used links the same color as the
background and I've also used 8 pt. wingdings when I really don't want the
page to be seen by anyone but those caming over the search engines; the
prose can be pretty bad.)

Google looks at two specific things on a page: how many pages are linked to
it, and the frequency of the keyword. Because pages named "index" are
usually the first page of the site, it also has some influence, but I've
seen a lot of sites without any pages labled "index" that still rank high,
but I did have the number one positions on a lot of keywords.

I am now a grad student and don't do this any more, but it is amazing how
easy it was to get a page #1 in a competitive keyword. Webposition Gold is
software that can help, I know the company has been sold but you can Google
it!

Sunshine Lemme
Montauk Long Island, Zone 7a