nafex - [NAFEX] Nurse limbs.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Nurse limbs.
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:35:11 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/2005 5:43:25 PM US Eastern Standard Time, lonrom@hevanet.com writes:

One other thing that can help - leave a few "nurse" limbs near the
graft if possible.  It seems to help draw energy to the grafts.  Cut
the nurse limbs off in the winter after the grafts go, though.

Lon Rombough

Hello all,
My experiences grafting persimmon differ form Lon's. I've been doing both, with and w/o nurse limbs for many years. My conclusion is nurse limbs can defer nutrition from the graft to the nurse limb. Last year I grafted about 8 trees 4 to 6 inches in diameter and about half with nurse limbs. There was on the average considerably less growth on the trees with nurse limbs.

Jerry