nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Killing (reducing) brush organicly

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Killing (reducing) brush organicly
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:43:43 +0000

I'm supposed to know all the botany/physiology terms to explain it, but I don't exercise the phrases enough to keep them. Basicly, when you cut off the tops, the roots don't hear about it right away. They continue functioning as if tops are still there. Auxins or hormones are sent up, and if the tops were still there, eventually the leaves' compounds would be sent back to roots in turn. So, root products go up, and collect near the cut area. You cut those off (at about 24 hours), and this removes the info source which would have told the roots what to do next.

Many herbicides work by disrupting the normal exchange of auxins/ hormones/ info/ carbs in plants. This double-cut method is an organic way of accomplishing this.

(Listers, please post a better explanation, if mine needs help)

tc, sWI, where we already had frost-damaged apple flowers before last night's freeze.

Tanis, I have lots of clonal poplar to clear around my orchards, I have never heard of
this idea, can you explain more? I don't see the logic behind the 24 hour period.
Curious, Del