nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Killing (reducing) brush organicly

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Killing (reducing) brush organicly
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 15:34:27 +0000

Other than pulling brush or herbiciding it, both having disadvantages, here are some cutting methods.

First rule-- cut in spring to make woody plants mad and make them grow faster, cut in late summer to slow down woody plants (remember summer-pruning for apple trees...)

So, if you can cut or mow brush, do it in August. Except for the first year where brush is very vigorous-- then, cut in mid July and cut regrowth in mid September, and after that you can mow once in Aug.

Another method, supposed to be especially effective on clonal patches (example: poplar, black locust)-- cut at waist to shoulder height one day, next day (as close to 24 hours as practical) cut at ground level. I think this is for the growing season, not for dormant. I haven't tried this, but neighbors have, and said they liked the results.