nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zinc -pecans-hickories?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zinc -pecans-hickories?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:44:12 -0600

At 12:21 PM 2/28/2005 -0600, RD O'Barrwrote:
Some folks graft pecan onto water hickory and others. We had one that was a
Schley and showed iron deficiency on alkaline soils that did not affect
sweet pecan with any iron problems. Since pecan and hickory are both Carya
species, I would expect zinc to be beneficial where it is low in the soil.

I've never noticed(but, then, I haven't really looked) rosette or symptoms of Zn deficiency in the native hickories, but I graft almost all of my hickory cultivars onto seedling pecan rootstocks. Thus far, I've not noticed any evidence of rosetting on the hickory cultivars - but, haven't seen it in the pecans, either.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY