nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zinc -pecans-hickories?

  • From: "Topgun" <aatopgunaa@mindspring.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zinc -pecans-hickories?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:21:18 -0600

Some folks graft pecan onto water hickory and others. We had one that was a
Schley and showed iron deficiency on alkaline soils that did not affect
sweet pecan with any iron problems. Since pecan and hickory are both Carya
species, I would expect zinc to be beneficial where it is low in the soil.
This in pecan, is below 7 ppm in the soil, and less than 30 ppm in the
leaves. Visual symptoms began to appear in the teens and hidden hunger up to
as much as 40 ppm. Trees that were low in zinc, but not low enough to show
distorted leaves or rossete, nevertheless would show leaf bronzing and early
leaf shed; sometimes preceded by interveinal choloris and necrosis.
R.
D. O'Barr