nafex - [NAFEX] Zinc deficiency in humans and trees

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zinc deficiency in humans and trees
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:37:15 -0500

Doc Lisenby wrote:
If you have any questions about human zinc deficiency problems, try addressing them to Donna (redherring) NAFEX member.  We had a very informative (to me) discussion a few years back on this.  I don't know of a better information source.  She is probably too busy to answer this post, but you might catch her between various pursuits.  I love her mind (and her husband's also).
Doc Lisenby
Charlie Paradise now writes: I went into the archive and found Donna's comments on zinc:

"There are some neat things about the effect of zinc and
calcium levels on one's reaction to sour fruit.  Anyone
who complains that fruit is too sour when everyone else
is enjoying it is probably low on calcium.  On the
other hand, people who are running alkaline will crave
sour flavors.  I have been amazed when I have gotten
people with fibromyalgia to taste malic acid that they
often like it and will say it tastes sweet when my
whole body is cringing at the thought.  This is a
complicated subject... citric acid is a byproduct of
metabolism, and a slow metabolism can mean too little
citric acid in the body to mobilize calcium and do
other chores.  The body reacts by slowing respiration
(to conserve on carbonic acid), which can serve to
further depress the metabolic rate. Having enough zinc
in the body greatly enhances one's ability to taste
sugars, which might make a sour fruit taste sweet
enough to be enjoyed.  I am sure you all have heard of
the "wonderberry" which can be crushed on the tongue,
and then for an hour or so afterward, anything acidic
will taste sweet.  Someone let us pick a whole bunch of
them down in Florida, and we had a blast with them and
a few lemons.  You can get the same effect, though
smaller and shorter term, by holding a zinc tablet
under the tongue till it dissolves.  I have only done
it with those horrible plain zinc gluconate tablets,
but you could try it with a lozenge.  If using the
plain tablets, be prepared for an unpleasant experience
while you wait for it to dissolve. Once it's gone, try
licking a lemon.  It will taste pleasantly sweet.
10-15 minutes later, the same lemon will be much less
appealing!    Donna"

Please pardon of the re-posting of Donna's, but
we're lucky to have Donna on the list and wanted her
previous contribution available for our current discussion
of zinc.

I'm already well aware of the value of zinc, and my current
concern is adding it to compost to increase uptake into
crops like pumpkin seed or watermelon.

Also from the archives comments on zinc deficiency slowing
tree growth, I believe this was submitted by Lucky Pittman:

Here's some info on Zn for pecans, from TAMU's webpage on pecan production
in the home landscape:

Zinc

"Frequent zinc sprays are essential for rapid tree growth. Trees deficient
in zinc usually have small, weak leaves, highly branched (rosetted) twigs
at shoot tips and, in severe cases, dieback of twigs and branches. During
the first 7 years, trees grow best if foliar sprays of zinc are applied at
least every 2 weeks throughout the growing season of April through early
August. If the trees are not growing, reduce the spray frequency. Spray
mature trees with zinc at least three times between bud break in late March
or early April and early June. Zinc is needed primarily by young expanding
leaflets. Leaflet expansion on mature trees usually stops by mid-June. Two
of several choices of zinc materials to spray are:

Zinc nitrate is formulated as a liquid. Use 2 to 4 teaspoons per gallon or
1 to 2 quarts per 100 gallons of water.

Zinc sulfate is formulated as a powder. Use 2 teaspoons per gallon or 2
pounds per 100 gallons of water. UAN liquid fertilizer (32-0-0) can be
added at a rate of 1 quart per 100 gallons of the zinc sulfate solution to
improve penetration of zinc into the foliage. Zinc sulfate spray can cause
leaf burn on other trees in the home landscape, especially peaches, plums
and other stone fruits. Zinc sprays are most effective if applied early or
late in the day with little or no wind. The higher humidity under these
conditions allows longer wetting and more zinc absorption. Zinc sprays pose
a minimal hazard to man and animals, yet care should be taken not to
contact the spray directly. Zinc sprays are not likely to stain sidewalks,
houses, cars, etc.

These zinc materials can be mixed and sprayed in combination with most
chemicals labeled for insect and disease control. Consult Texas
Agricultural Extension Service publication L-1140 Homeowner's Fruit and Nut
Spray Schedule for recommended combinations."

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/pecan/pecan.html

Charlie Paradise
zone 5/Massachusetts