nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Maine Blackberries

  • From: JoanRRosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org (North American Fruit Explorers)
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Maine Blackberries
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:21:09 -0400

I also got some of the blackberries, but I grew them in containers. They
survived a really nasty winter, and I have noted several things. They fruit
only on sprouts on second year canes. They bloom early. They have triple
the number of flowers as other blackberries. They are not upright, but trail
and should be either tied to a trellis or containered to flow over the top
and stream down. The leaves are very heart-shaped as opposed to regular
blackberries, which are more elongated. The berries do tend to get moldy if
it rains a lot, even if they are placed in full sun. I have not tried any in
the shade, so I do not know if they will grow in the shade like Pete
Tallman's will. No bugs have targeted them. I have very few rodents to gnaw
thanks to the efforts of the various farm cats to supplement their cat food
with fresh food. So I cannot tell you if any small animal might find them
tasty - there aren't any small varmints that live too long. But I imagine
that any fruit bush or vine is fair game to hungry critters. I am using
Messenger on them this year to see if I can beat the mold problem. Will let
you know how it works.