nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Maine Blackberries

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Maine Blackberries
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 14:01:13 +0000

I did several types of winter prep on these:
1. threw fencing over to weight down the vines and hope for snow cover, saw limited breakage, but was quickest way to get them down close to ground
2. do nothing...we had 18" of snow cover so the 40F below wasnt a full trial...this is the vine the voles missed - which is budding out
3. 'broke over' vines mid summer to get them low to ground, some broke part way but seemed to heal, some potential for this, but it means not having vines trellised and is labor intensive.
4. weighted down with field fencing and covered with old carpet, voles got these too.

So far I am very hopeful about these, not just for the winter hardiness, but for the early fruiting...... Illini, Chester and Triple Crown - when I got vines to survive - lost most fruit to sept. frosts.
Is there something I could spray vines with that would be unpalatable to voles over winter?

Del, Z 2/3 solid frost last night

&gt;From: John Bunker &lt;jbunker@gwi.net&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;To: North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Maine Blackberries
&gt;Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 07:25:31 -0400
&gt;
&gt;Del, Tom and others,
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;The blackberries that we sent you were propagated by tissue culture. We are
&gt;also now propagating them by root cuttings. In both cases, what sprouts
&gt;from the roots will always be true to type except I suppose in the rare case
&gt;of a sport.
&gt;
&gt;My own plants have been in the ground now for 6 years. Although I do get
&gt;some dieback every year, I have also established I nice patch at this point.
&gt;This past winter we had a 2 weeks or so of -20 to -25 and no snow cover at
&gt;all. It may be that one of the worst enemies of black berries in the north
&gt;is desiccation. Plantings protected from wind seem to do better than those
&gt;out in the open. Not much I can say about voles (or other) eating the canes
&gt;back to the ground. (It's good to know the canes are tasty?)
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;Although I have been slow to put together a questionnaire for those who are
&gt;trialing the plants, I am very interested in your experiences. In any
&gt;event, thanks for the information. I'm happy to answer any other questions.
&gt;
&gt;John
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;*****
&gt;John Bunker
&gt;Fedco
&gt;P.O. Box 520
&gt;Waterville ME 04903
&gt;
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;nafex mailing list
&gt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions.
&gt;----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options):
&gt;
&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;
&gt;Message archives are here: