nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: feral apples

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: feral apples
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 16:56:54 -0400

I didn't read it that way, just a comment that there are a lot of less-than-terrific apples out there. But I have noticed that the commercial growers _are_ under pressure to plant the new and improved cultivars every year. There seems to be a lot more money right now in new-and-unusual than in commodity stuff, and the new trees tend to be friendlier to current commercial practices than the older ones.

I like that you can buy both determinate and indeterminate tomatoes. I assume more commercial producers plant determinate vines, but most back-yard growers plant indeterminate vines. If the market for apple trees was as large as the market for tomato plants, I bet there'd be lots of good "indeterminate" apples on the market, too. But since the back-yard market is small, there's lots to be gained from fruit exploration.

Ginda