nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cider apples and scion exchange in Oregon

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cider apples and scion exchange in Oregon
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:21:57 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Cider apples and scion exchange in Oregon
There's no way to know for sure what varieties will be there, in advance.  However, given the sheer number of apple varieties that are offered each year (usually in the hundreds) I would be really surprised if there weren't any cider apples in the mix.   I've certainly seen cider apples offered in the past.  Chisel Jersey, that kind of thing.  As to which is "best" that's very hard to say.  Most cider makers prefer a mix of several kinds, anyway.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

I'm going to be around Portland later this week and
could make it to this event.  However, the only thing
I could rationalize acquiring would be a great cider
apple.
(a) is there likely to be cider apple scionwood
available?
(b) what is the best cider apple, if you could only
put in one tree specifically for cider?  I seem to
remember seeing a reference to one that had the
balance of sweet/sharp/bitter/aromatics, but I wasn't
able to find the reference.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Zone 7, Sunset Zone 7, 1800'