nafex - [NAFEX] RE: Ultimate Cooking Apple

  • From: "Three Hills Farm" <organic@threehillsfarm.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: Ultimate Cooking Apple
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 01:26:49 -0500

Thanks for all of the feedback regarding good cooking apples.   I probably should've been specific about what my buddy wanted to cook with the apples.   He's specifically looking for the ultimate apples for Tarte Tatin.  He mentioned that the Granny Smiths that he normally uses just break down way too much in using them for this dish.  I received a response earlier today that pointed me in the direction of the definitive Tarte Tatin website ( www.tarte-tatin.com ) and their list of recommended apples for this dessert.  Here's what the site recommends:

* * * * *

"The secret of a good Tarte Tatin is the choice of the apples which should be sharp, firm and juicy. They caramelize well and give this excellent dessert an appetizing color.

According to the season, you should prefer:

La Reine des Reinettes :
This golden apple with its orange striping is a small early apple found on the market from mid-August to the end of October. It is the best possible choice for the tart.
La Reinette Grise du Canada :
This winter apple with its brown-gray and golden-green colors is on sale from November to February. It is ideal for modern cuisine and is excellent for tarts.
The Golden :
Present all the year round, choose slightly greener apples because they are sharper.  This variety oxidizes little and produces excellent results in cuisine.
La Belle de Boskoop :
This "rustic" apple is available from November to the end of February and will be bound to enthrall you with its gray-green color with its touches of red. It has an excellent texture for caramelizing.
Granny Smith :
Green, even when mature, available from mid-October to the end of April. Particularly sharp, the Granny Smith will add a lively tone to your tart but may require the addition of a little sugar
Braeburn :
Both rustic and elegant, available from October to May.
Can be used in cuisine both raw and cooked, providing excellent results for tarts even if it caramelizes.
Cox's Orange :
This variety is little known in France and is available in the marketplace from October to February.
Yellowish-green with light orange and red lines, this particularly fruity apple is excellent for cuisine and gives off a charming aroma during cooking."

* * * * *

I'm intrigued that Reine des Reinettes is considered 'the best possible choice for Tarte Tatin.'  I did a bit more digging around on this apple and discovered that a genetic mutation of it occured that was recently trademarked in Canada and is soon to be released throughout the US.  They're calling it 'Reinette Russet'.  You'll find the basics about it here:

        http://res2.agr.ca/stjean/publication/web/apple9-pomme9_e.htm#russet

I've also heard mixed reviews about using Bramley's Seedling for a Tarte Tatin because the apple will break down way too much.  However on the Bramley's site itself, there's a chef who claims he makes an amazing Tarte Tatin with Bramley's.   Is anyone on the list cooking regularly with Bramley's?   How well has this apple kept its shape for you?

If anyone's interested, the Bramley's site is quite informative and there are a ton of really delicious sounding recipes that use Bramley's Seedling.  You'll find the site here:

       http://www.bramleyapples.co.uk/

. . . and their collection of Bramley's recipes here:

       http://www.bramleyapples.co.uk/recipes.htm

. . . and a recipe for a Bramley's Tarte Tatin here:

       http://www.bramleyapples.co.uk/recipes_celebs_nairn.htm

Enjoy!

John

* * * * *