nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Porcupine attack!

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Porcupine attack!
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:43:43 -0500

Hello,

I beg you not to move the critter elsewhere.  Rabbits, cats dogs, and all else that get released rurally just create a bigger problem.

The best guidline is; If you don't want it on your property someone else is not going to want it on theirs.

If you do not have the land owner's permission and animal control's authority to drop an animal off do not do it.

Do you have any idea the amount of damage a single beaver can do to a landowner?  Know what happens when wolves and coyotes breed with domesticated dogs?  Care to do the math on how fast rabbits multiply?

Again, if you don't want it, it is unlikely anyone else does either.

Later,
Tom

Bernie Nikolai wrote:

Dean,
    Here in Alberta porcupines can and have done huge damage to test
orchards.  They simply can't be left to continue on.  The sugars in the bark
of fruit trees is like heroin to them, and they will return forever until
delt with.  Just follow their tracks in the snow, sort of a track as if you
were pulling a log through the field.  They invariably lead to a metal
culvert under a road, where you will find Mr. Porky asleep during the day.
Then either "encourage" him not to eat your trees, or push him out with a
long stick, stuff him in a big wooden box (very carefully), and drive off to
Manitoba to release him.  Porcupines are NOT a protected species in Canada
and can be killed at any time, without a license.  If that is too severe, go
the moving option, but then he just may munch on someone else's orchard,
unless you select a remote wilderness location.  Good luck.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta
zone2/3