nafex - [NAFEX] Porcupine attack!

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Porcupine attack!
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:59:28 -0600

Hello all,

After a very disheartening growing season this year with the grasshoppen infestation we had, I figured it would be a nice relaxing winter break. Well, Mr. porcupine has spoiled that much needed reprieve from worrying about my trees. You'd think with a valley full of chokecherries, saskatoons, and other trees, it would leave mine alone...

I have tried live trapping using carrots/grain/apple slices, but nothing seems to work. Going out at dusk everynight with a .22 has not produced results either. In the past I found the .22 much more efficient than my first weapon...a shovel. (Although, I really got my frustration out on that one as I recall.)

If anyone has a sure fire way to bait this menace, I would really appreciate it. Honestly, I don't want to kill this animal, just stop it from wrecking my hard work.

Thanks!

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3