nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Onions mold?

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Onions mold?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:03:40 -0600

New Scientist magazine in 1997 has a short piece on onions and mold.
Studies in the UK determined that red onions have longer shelf life, because
their red pigment also carries an acid that prevents mold. This acid is
present in other colors of onions (white, yellow, etc.), but it's more
concentrated in red pigments. Since I read this, I've always planted red
onions for storage. Before, I'd lose about 1/5 of my onions before we could
eat them during winter months.
Doreen Howard