nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Article about farmers using wild bees

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Article about farmers using wild bees
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:06:21 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Article about farmers using wild bees
An less tenacious alternative to comfrey for attracting bumblebees is borage.  It's an annual so it dies in the fall, and the bees love it.   It will reseed, but you can prevent that by mowing before the seed is ripe.  I interplant it in the garden with the beans and get better set since bumbles are the best bean pollinators.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

hAD A computer glitch, sorry. Reiterate: I meant it was a good thing Bumbles were attracted to comfrey, a redeeming quality in a n orchard setting. Must read for us all TOWARDS SAVING THE HONEYBEE