nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Article about farmers using wild bees

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Article about farmers using wild bees
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:44:44 -0400

There might be some buzzing, but wild bees have serious problems with modern
agriculture. While waiting for research potatoes to sprout in Maine in 1990,
I helped a professor do pollinator studies for a few weeks. We collected in
heavily sprayed "wild" blueberry barrens across the state. I was surprised
(he wasn't) to find wild bees were almost nonexistent, except in smaller
barrens where unsprayed native vegetation was nearby.

We returned to an area a few days after the first post-bloom spraying and
happened to see a little Andrenid bee peering from her burrow. We watched
that bee for several minutes to see what she was up to. We finally realized
she was dead. Unfortunately, wild bees remain behind as rented honeybees are
hauled away before spraying begins again. Wild pollinators also aren't well
suited to monocultures, where all blooming is limited to a few days a year.
Bruce W
Zone 6 CT