nafex - RE: [NAFEX] RE: Cherries

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: rmelrose@bluemoo.net
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] RE: Cherries
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:30:27 -0500

Excelsior, Sancho! There are windmills to be tilted.
I tried to get all my trees on Gisela 5 for the improved hardiness of it,
which doesn't take much when most sweets are budded on mazzard. I lost a 3
year old North Star on mazzard because the buried bud union hadn't had time
to get onto it's own roots, and the mazzard roots were killed. The local
giant wholesale grower propagates it only on mazzard - why put a zone 4
tree on zone 5 roots I don't know - but now I bud my own on seedlings of
Meteor, North Star or Mesabi. I will be trying sweets on these next year.
Anybody had any experience with this?
Meanwhile, I was successful getting Gisela 5 trees except for dead Black
Gold (supposed to be more hardy) and dead Summit were on Mazzard. Live
Hudson (most hardy cv., maybe) is on mazzard. Live Kristin and Sweet
September are on GM-61 and live Ulster is on G-6.
The list is for 1st winter trees only. I have 2 winter trees of Lapins(1
ea on G-5 and G-6), Hedlefingen (GM-61), Kristin (G-5) and Rainier (G-6).
The few flower buds on these were killed, but there was virtually no
dieback in spite of a long wet fall. Seems to say the older the better.
Recovery has been vigorous on all trees since the June 6th assessment was
made. New growth ranges from 18" - 24" in spite of deer eating it off twice
early on. These sweets do great here in the summertime, its just the winter
that might be a little problem.

Dave