nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Unidentified Fruit

  • From: Dan Sorensen <dan.phantom@westpa.net>
  • To: longdistshtr@infoave.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Unidentified Fruit
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:12:52 -0500

Doc,

Several years ago I was spending some time with a family in southern Mexico. One day the husband took me out in the backyard to show me his fruit trees. He showed me two that I thought he called "chico sapote" that he was quite proud of. I later learned they were Manilkara zapota, a native of Yucatan and southern Mexico, also called "chicle" for the rich supply of chicle, used in chewing gum, they produce when tapped. I now have two 12 inch specimens in my greenhouse started from seed I received from California Rare Fruit Growers seed bank, so although they will only grow outdoors in climates like south Florida in this country, at least one person is growing them in Pennsylvania.

If you really want a lot of info on this plant check this link: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/nexus/Manilkara_zapota_nex.html

Dan